The most popular links on my blog are easily those to seed companies that sell perennial vegetables. Last year I did a spreadsheet to cover all the main perennials and who supplies them and supplied it to a few people I knew were interested. This year I decided that it would be a good idea to update it and put it on the blog to download. So here it is: perennial vegetable suppliers 2014
It is not intended to be absolutely exhaustive and it does not cover every possible perennial vegetable that you may be looking for. However, it does cover my favourites, plus a few I have not had much joy with (but others might). It gives a current price for each company that stocks the seeds (or plants in some cases). Most prices are listed on websites, if they are not my entry just says ‘yes’. I have been through all the websites and checked prices, but if I have made any errors then I apologise!
The list is ordered by categories – greens, then onions, then roots. Within each category they are approximately alphabetical, but maybe not quite!
Most of the prices are for seeds, but some lines refer to plants. Some individual entries may be for plants – this is either indicated by text with the price or a note attached to the cell. Hover your mouse over the little red triangle and you will see any notes I have entered. Blank cells indicate that the item is not stocked by the company.
- There are two French sites – Eric Deloulay and Plantes et Jardins. They also sell other interesting things apart from the perennial leeks, tree onions and Daubenton’s kales that I have listed but as these are much more widely available in the UK now I have not listed them here. French readers of the blog may well find other interesting things!
- Magic Garden Seeds is based in Germany. In the past I have used them to obtain lathyrus tuberosus seeds (earth nut pea) but they don’t stock this at the moment. However Chiltern Seeds and B and T World Seeds do stock them and I have some I have collected as well if anyone wants to request some.
- Speaking of B and T World Seeds – they carry such a large range that I have not listed the seeds they stock.
- Kings Seeds and Suffolk Herbs appear to trade together. As you can get both companies products on the same website I have only put in a column for Kings Seeds.
- The Agroforestry Research Trust has a very, very long list of seeds, plants, trees and shrubs. I have only included those that are currently (January 2014) available. This is such a popular source that many things sell out early, but you can email to reserve items for autumn 2014.
All the companies listed often sell lots of other interesting things, so do have a browse round the websites for other things! If there are any other good sources that I have missed out please let me know.
Happy browsing, ordering and growing!