It’s another beautiful autumn afternoon with mellow sunlight filtering though the remaining leaves and casting long shadows on the lawn. This year has been fun and productive in the garden and I want to use what I have learned to make next year’s growing more effective and productive. One part of that will be to check my records to see which veggies have grown best and produced good yields so that I can grow more of them next year.
The other part is to try to make the very most of all parts of the garden. The previous post about utilising a challenging area between two trees was moving in that direction. In addition I plan to use a small area near a greengage and holly trees. They have been in the garden a long time and have been far too dominant to grow anything close by. However they were starting to grow round some phone wires and have had to be strategically cut back allowing much more light to reach the ground. I have cut up the small branches, twigs and other bits and pieces remaining after the tree surgeon departed and have two decent sized piles of mulchy material which will decompose over the winter. It may well need some more bits added, but it should be the basis of a reasonable soil to plant into.
This summer I ran out of normal places to plant the French beans (Cherokee Trail of Tears) and ended up putting some beneath an apple tree. I may have picked a few beans during the summer but then forgot about them till the ripening pods appeared draped beside the apples.
These beans have produced pods despite being in a very shady position and I recall that two summers ago I had runner beans that did surprisingly well in a slightly less shady area. In nature climbers usually clamber up hedges and trees so it seems reasonable to experiment next year with growing both French beans (from these saved seeds) and runner beans close to several trees next summer after I have made the soil suitably rich.